Siemens RDH10RF SET GB Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope some kind soul could help me wire in my new Siemens RDH10RF SET GB Room Thermostat to a VAILLANT ECOTEC EXCLUSIVE 838 HE COMBI boiler I was hoping to install the receiver in place of my old apt thermostat not sure if there are enough wires here though.

Sponsored Links
Bypass it. Connect permanent live from boiler and switch from reciever back in.

Connect receiver into boiler live and neutral. Switch live back to the board for CH.

Leave the old stat where it is.

Sponsored Links
Connect receiver into boiler live and neutral. Switch live back to the board for CH.

Sorry but all you've done is confuse me, I don't want to leave the old thermostat in why would I, I want to install the receiver in place of the old thermostat because the boiler is in a utility room and I am sure there would be communication probs due to the distance and proximity of the boiler.

Sorry but all you've done is confuse me, I don't want to leave the old thermostat in why would I, I want to install the receiver in place of the old thermostat because the boiler is in a utility room and I am sure there would be communication probe due to the distance and proximity of the boiler.

Right lets start from the beginning. What setup do you have right now? Is there a timer that feeds that room stat?

Ok the boiler is located in a utility room outside of the main house, there is no timer fitted just a simple apt room thermostat in the dining room. wiring as shown in picture.

At the boiler the wires are connected to:
5 = Blue
4 = Yellow
3 = Red
2 = Earth

Am I right that no earth connection is needed for the Siemens RDH10RF SET GB Room Thermostat, if this is correct do I move the wires 5=Blue neutral and 3=Red Live to the L and N on the boiler and connect these to the Live and Neutral on the RDH10RF receiver, leave the 4=yellow on the boiler connect it to LX or L1 on the RDH10RF receiver which would leave me with a spare earth wire which I could use on L1 or LX.

Red and Blue are Live and Neutral, use to power the receiver.

The Yellow is the switched live and should go to L1

You then need a short wire link to connect the Red live across into the LX terminal.

The Earth wire is unused and should be made safe so it can't come into contact with any of the other wires.

(When the thermostat is calling for heat, LX is switched through to make L1 live which fires up the boiler and pump via the Yellow)

you need 4 wires for your new receiver and it looks like you have them but you will have to alter where the wires are connected at the other end as the current configuration wont work, also is your earth at present an actual core ? it may be an earth wire which you cant use for a control wire

you need 4 wires for your new receiver and it looks like you have them but you will have to alter where the wires are connected at the other end as the current configuration wont work, also is your earth at present an actual core ? it may be an earth wire which you cant use for a control wire

When you say actual core, the earth wire is the 4th wire not separately insulated in the cable where the red, blue and yellow are separately insulated is this what you mean.
TIA.

Red and Blue are Live and Neutral, use to power the receiver.

The Yellow is the switched live and should go to L1

You then need a short wire link to connect the Red live across into the LX terminal.

The Earth wire is unused and should be made safe so it can't come into contact with any of the other wires.

(When the thermostat is calling for heat, LX is switched through to make L1 live which fires up the boiler and pump via the Yellow)
This is correct, but just to make it clear:

Old - Colour - New
1 ----- Red --- L
2 ---- Yellow - L1
3 ---- Gn/Yel - Not used; make safe, e.g a terminal block.
4 ---- Blue --- N

Also, link L to Lx.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back