Siemens Wireless Thermostat kit - fit for purpose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A week or two ago my daughter asked me to have a look at her CH. The heating was very intermittent. She had a Siemens thermostat in the sitting room with a wireless receiver in the airing cupboard upstairs alongside the combi. No heating.

On checking on the web I found that it was suggested that the the Siemens receiver might have a known problem with a "sticky - relay" that could be corrected with a rap of a knuckles !

This simple & temporary fix worked & I suggested that she had a word with the Co. that did her CH about 2-3 years ago to see if this is a known problem & could be subject to a warranty fix.

The fitter called & confirmed that it was probably a "sticky relay" & said that since Siemens don't sell the receiver unit alone he would have to replace to thermostat & receiver. He charged over £100 for this wisdom.

He went on to say that it could be possible to "clean the relay" (see below *) but it would be better if she re-installed with Honeywell kit, which is better!

Two days ago my son called me to say that his partner's property had problems with its CH. Yes, another Siemens system installed at a similar time. Similar symptoms. Same installer/fitters.

So I replaced my daughter's kit with a Honeywell ChronoTherm system. It is now totally OK as the fitter had suggested.

Amused by the fitter's observation that the relay is the failing unit & could have some dust in it, I took the failing Siemens receiver apart. The relay is in a sealed component and I suppose I could unsolder it & replace,but fixing it seems a bit extreme.

Of course he was talking *******s, unless, of course he knew that Siemens were buying sealed relays from a dusty Chinese Cos.

BTW: A neighbour had two Siemens receivers fail - allegedly due to a power outage - he has a big house with an upstairs downstairs setup & system.

Coincidence: Possibly but it may be that Siemens is selling something that ain't fit for purpose. Or may be the fitters are using the kit as the cheapest rubbish they can find.

Thoughts ????

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There is a reset button on both transmitter and receiver which both need to be done before saying unit is duff
Prob over last 7 or 8 years had a 20% failure rate on them within first 3 or 4 years .
But at 40 quid compared to 100 for honeywell people go for them also probably the easiest to use wireless stat out there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back