Signal Amplifier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I think I need a new signal amplifier and wanted to know which would be a good quality one to buy, at the moment I have a Mercury with 8 connections with DC pass this is the second one I've had in 15 years, I have 3 TVs one is connected through a freeview box.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
TV plug or F-plug?
Why have 8 way distribution amp if only 3 TVs are connected? A 4 way unit would work.
Why have DC pass (presumably intended for supplying $ky magic eye remote controls)?

What has gone wrong (again) with this unit. NB The full output (if it has one) must have a 75 ohm terminator fitted or be used to feed more TV outputs on a long cable or the whole device gain goes up the creek.

Justin of ATV aerials in Sheffield recommends the Proception range as they are well-screened... Toolstation sell those, as well as Justin and other places (CPC Farnell).

Hi, Not sure why I got 8 way, I will get a 4 way this time, again I don't really know what a DC pass is, I don't have $ky magic eye just 3 tv's one freeview box. Whats gone wrong is about 6 channels on one TV started braking up didn't know why but I had a plug in signal booster so plugged it in next to TV and it worked, a few months later another tv started doing the same ( Strangely affecting different channels ) so I'm assuming its the amplifier in the loft.

Whats gone wrong is about 6 channels on one TV started braking up didn't know why but I had a plug in signal booster so plugged it in next to TV and it worked, a few months later another tv started doing the same ( Strangely affecting different channels ) so I'm assuming its the amplifier in the loft.
First thing to suspect is the aerial and/or cables and connections.

Examine all connections. Remake any suspect ones. Ensure plugs are in firm and not loose. Ensure any hdmi and aerial cables are apart (cross-interference can occur).

Aerial: where in or out. What style? How old? External aerials may have an average life of around 12 years (some die quicker other last a lot longer). They can also be affected by external things like tree growth.

Pretty hard to find maker / specs but if the amplifier is this one https://www.powersaver.co.uk/product/mercury-8-way-vhf-uhf-distribution-amplifier-amd08/ has 8dB gain (lowish but sufficient if the aerial is sound, working properly and supplies one TV at a time without any issues). The Full 20dB gain output must have a terminator plug (usually supplied) but could be used split two ways to provide 2 x 16dB gain feeds... or a 4-way split at 12 dB gain (cf 8dB gain for the main outlets).
You can test the aerial direct to one location by using a 'joiner' barrel and by-passing the amplifier box.

Check that a mobile mast has not launched close to your location and causing interference at https://restoretv.uk/ They can supply filters etc.,. if needed free of charge to you.

I'm not convinced a new amplifier is the correct solution.

NB Most TVs have signal strength (and quality) metering diagnostics built in. It's often worth using them to see if a pattern exists on the different frequencies received.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, I'll have a fiddle around with the cables and plugs. Aerial is outside and about 15 years old.

so I'm assuming its the amplifier in the loft.
Never assume. People waste a lot of money replacing things that are not broken on assumptions.

If you are only feeding 3 TVs you may not need an amplifier at all, just a 3 way splitter.

Will a 3 way splitter weaken the signal? or if I have all 3 TVs on at once?

A 3 way splitter drops the signal by approximately 6dB. Not a problem with a good aerial in most areas.

Putting TVs on or off make no difference to the signal levels.

A 3 way splitter drops the signal by approximately 6dB. Not a problem with a good aerial in most areas.

Putting TVs on or off make no difference to the signal levels.

6dB is the theoretical loss of a perfect 3 or 4-way splitter. Practical splitters lose more. Triax state 7.5dB for their 3-way version at UHF TV frequencies.
I always say 4dB for a 2-way and 8dB for 4 way, 12 for 8-way.

That an amplifier has been needed / used until recently with +8dB gain... a passive split would equate to a -16 dB change in signal level. That's a lot! I doubt a passive splitter is the solution to the problems here any more than a new amplifier would be.

6dB is the theoretical loss of a perfect 3 or 4-way splitter. Practical splitters lose more. Triax state 7.5dB for their 3-way version at UHF TV frequencies.
I always say 4dB for a 2-way and 8dB for 4 way, 12 for 8-way.

That an amplifier has been needed / used until recently with +8dB gain... a passive split would equate to a -16 dB change in signal level. That's a lot! I doubt a passive splitter is the solution to the problems here any more than a new amplifier would be.
My 3 way splitters are labelled 5.6dB loss 4 way 7.4dB but hey ho. I find amplifiers are often put in by DIYers because they assume they are required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back