Silent part set Scantronic 9448+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a scantronic alarm system in my house, with two remote 9448+ keypads.It is set up for part set so we can set it at night, however the buzzer sounds for 30 secs. Is there any way to make it silent or even a short buzzer when in part set? The user manual refers to this but doesn't tell you how to change it?

I also had an Ademco remote keypad in my last house and it had a feature which allowed you to part set/full set with only one or two buttons. Is this possible on my new system? It may have been that we were more used to it but it seemed a better system,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
delboy
The 9448 is a very basic system so depending on which ademco you had before it may have been better.

You cant change that from the user menu and you will need to contact the installer to reprogram that for you

Is that not a bit extreme, having to pay someone to make a simple change like that on my own alarm system?

It's your alarm system, it was supplied from the manufacturer with an engineers manual (that you've paid for) demand it and change it yourself.

Sponsored Links
The thing is, an alarm company who professionally installs alarm systems, to comply with current standards is not allowed to supply the engineer manuals.

Look at it this way, you have the engineer manual and want to make an alteration to your system so away you go. Not knowing some of the terminology used you press, in error, buttons '1 & 8' when you should have pressed '2 & 8', oh damn, have to do it again, '2 & 8', that's it all sorted - not. Your first mistake has not been corrected.

Two weeks later there is a break-in, the alarm does not activate because of the mistake you made when you 'played around'. You call the alarm company to complain about their system that did not work. The log is checked, to find that someone has been making alterations to the
programming the alarm company washes their hands, the insurance company will not pay out because an unauthorised person has been playing around ....... 'nuff said.

Now I know this seems a might extreme, but it has happened many times, think carefully before making any alterations that you can't get from the User Manual.

Only if the insurance company has given a discount. If they haven't - you can do what you like with it. Set it on fire if you wish.

It's your own house though. Alarms not functioning has zero effect on your insurance claim unless you have accepted a discount on your premium.

Thanks for youre input on this guys. I managed to find an installation manual on a website, but it seemed as though the default engineers code had been changed. Called the original installer today and surprisingly he just gave me their engineers code free of charge???

Why would that be? Any installer with a brain uses a rolling system of numbering such as house number followed by zeros, ie 23 + 00 or 103 + 0.
Giving one away doesn't compromise anyone's system. Anyway, you give out engineer manuals every time you sell a panel.

Joe
Not all alrm cos' in fact very few use a rolling code system and that would be unworkable for larger companies. One engineer or a sole trader that system could work, for a normal alarm company it wouldnt.

If the panel comes with an engineering manual we do, but we are a supplier not an installer and id expect the installer not to pass on the engineer manual as with out the engineer code its pretty useless.
Id bet they dont use a rolling code at the OP know knows the engineer code fo rall of that companies systems. I hope their other customers arnt bothered about the implications. Hopefully it would be alright but if i were an installer i wouldnt have done it, but as you say they may all be differnet.

I don't get this sillyness about users having engineer codes and manuals.
What's it all about? You will sell me a panel with a manual. Armed with that I know exactly how to disable a panel. If I were a crook - I'd simply buy them off you. A manual is useless to a crook anyway - but a panel isn't.

You obviously don't understand the the differences between a professionally regulated alarm company an unregulated electrical / alarm company and a DIY system.
One has rules, regulations and standards to follow the other two, do what they like and one of them, well, I've seen many of their installations over the years, how they get away with it I'll never know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back