Silentrap did I need it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kitchen sink has been a bit smelly and started to leak from the silentrap part of the trap. I cleaned the trap and waste pipe and tried it out, same thing. Checked the pipe on the other side as there's a rinser, it was clogged so u cleaned that up too, still leaks. luckily I had bought a spare trap when I replaced this one last year, fitted that, same thing! Outside waste pipe is clear and it drops into a drain which I can see is clear.

The fall from the trap to the waste is poor, the pipe retains quite a bit of water.

I decided to block the silentrap on one of them with milliput epoxy putty, hopefully that will that!

I assume the silentrap is to reduce noise? Will there be an issue with it being disabled? The rinser trap has one too , is this likely to transfer the issue to the other side? Would moving the waste lower on the wall, increasing the fall help? Or perhaps a flexible waste pipe might be easier?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What is it are you are actually talking about? Silentrap? Only thing I can find called that is a UV insect killer.

Are you talking about an anti vac trap to stop the waste gurgling? The trap has a little valve attached to it that lets air in? This is a one way valve and it can be serviced if its started sticking and letting air /water out. In these cases it's usually sticking due to grime and grease and just needs stripped cleaned and reset.

Yes it's the mcalpine version, servicing isn't the solution because the replacement was brand new, never used before.

I will see how it goes and try an antivac trap next.

Sponsored Links
servicing isn't the solution because the replacement was brand new, never used before.
If the Anitvac valve was leaking then it was either broken or it wasn't fitted correctly. McAlpine's stuff is extremely good and their quality is second to none but it wouldn't be the first time something wasn't put together properly.

That being said and re-reading your post are you saying that the water drains so slowly that the trap would be full to the gunnels until the water has drained away? If that's the case then the waste needs re-done to correct that.

In the short term use a trap that doesn't have an anti vac valve o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back