Silentrap leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this problem. The silentrap (bottletrap) under our bathroom sink is leaking from the bottom of the valve, but only when the sink has been filled with water then the plug removed - and even then not always. What might be causing the problem? Do I need to replace the whole trap? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean leaking from the bottom of the trap, not valve?

Just try tighening the bottom up a bit more and see if that works.

If not, replace the trap with a new McApline one, it doesn't cost alot and they are good quality.

Hello TeaTime - many thanks for your reply.

I assume you mean leaking from the bottom of the trap, not valve?

No, I definitely mean from the bottom of the valve. I have looked at the McAlpine website and it says "The Silentrap has been most rigorously tested and will not unseal even under the most abnormal conditions", but that does appear to be what is happening. It was installed about 5 years ago and the problem only started recently. Do you think it has just reached the end of its useful life and needs replacing?

Sponsored Links
As a start, I would check to see if your drain pipework is beginning to get clogged up, causing the water to back up into the air admittance valve.

With a decent sized drain line and assuming the AAV is functioning correctly, there shouldn't be an issue, so I assume your drain is getting clogged and this is slowing the draining process, backing the water up into the AAV.

Use a chemical cleaner to get rid of the old sludge, if you cannot rod it out.

Remember, use the chems as directed and follow the COSHH advice printed on the lable, they are corrosive chemicals and not very good for you at all :)

If that doesn't sort your issue out, I make sure that the drain line is clear and then look at replacing the trap.... unless anyone else has any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back