Silicone bath-seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a newcomer, let me say Hallo, and perhaps Thank you. My problem is a leaking drum-trap (as I believe it is called) supplied with a hemispherical glass washbasin. Ignorant of the coin-slot at the bottom of the blocked drumtrap, I unscrewed the latter at each end and cleaned it out. Despite using PTFE thread-seal tape, wound in the right direction and successively in a variety of thicknesses from two to four, I now cannot avoid a leak. The gland "nuts" (they are circular - not hexagonal) have been finger-tightened with a variety of pressures.

I was going to use clear silicone bath sealant which has been left-over from work on the bath, but I remembered that a professional carpenter I know uses this for fixing architraves (where I would have used "No-Nails"). Before I go ahead with the sealant, I need reassurance that I am not about to "weld" the drum-trap permanently if I do so.

So: can I safely use the sealant, or is there a better cure for the leak?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back