Silicone behind cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a rented house I wanted to remove toilet to lay new floor. The cistern was held in place with silicone and I have cur behind this. It seems that there are no drilled/cast holes through which to send screws to secure to wall. The make of WC is unknown though suspect it is cheap product from a shed. Has anyone else encountered this. The basin is also siliconed in place but it does have the two holes for fixing to wall. I know it a cowboy practice but I am tempted to do the same.

Sponsored Links
Yes, some installers shortcut the drilling of holes into the tiles behind cisterns and just use silicone. It's not best practice/correct IMO but see it all the time.

Most basins will have silicone along the back wall line just to water proof the joint and can use little dots of silicone to aid in securing the basin in conjunction with the screws/bolts.

Others just pile it in and that's solely used to secure the basin/cistern to wall. I'll leave it up to you to decide which ones have the hay on repeat order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back