damp on wall behind toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a new bathroom suite installed by a friend. Pretty much immediately after, I noticed that the wall behind the toilet cistern was getting damp. Mould is now growing on it.

I have tried sealing the cistern lid with silicone to no avail.

Does anybody know what is causing this and how I can stop it?

My friend and I are assuming that it is condensation coming from inside the cistern - what do you think?

Thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
It probably is condensation but not from inside the cistern. What is your cistern made from?

Its more than likely because the cistern is full of cold water, when you shower/bath the warm moise air will condense on the back of the cistern, some of this damp may transfer to the wall. This sounds like a place there isn't much airf flow, therefore the mould grows.

nstreet said:
It probably is condensation but not from inside the cistern. What is your cistern made from?
Thanks for your reply
Its made from porcelain.
How can i stop it? What about tiling the wall the cistern is fitted to?

Sponsored Links
Yes tiling would stop the mould on the wall problem, but the grout would undoubtedly get mouldy instead. Stoping condensation on porcelain cisterns is a question that has been asked many times, do a search on this forum and you will find them. You could try a thin layer of polystyrene behind the cistern, but you will still get condensate on the cistern itself.
I dont think there is an easy answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back