Silicone in skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got torus mdf skirting I've got ready to fit to an upstairs bathroom with a ply and tiled floor. I wondered if I should just fit it (no nails) or whether I should fit it on a bead of silicone to stop anything going under it?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I've got torus mdf skirting I've got ready to fit to an upstairs bathroom with a ply and tiled floor. I wondered if I should just fit it (no nails) or whether I should fit it on a bead of silicone to stop anything going under it?

Thanks for your help
Paint wont stick to silicon so I would use an paintable alternative.

I'm not sure where the paint into silicone problems come from? Sure I would run the bead of silicone on the bottom edge and then fit it?

Is that what people tend to do or not bother?

Sponsored Links
fit the skirting tight to the floor paint then a bead between floor and skirting will stop water reaching the skirting unless its more than 2mm deep

So it's common procedure to silicone the skirting to the tiles once its been fitted and painted?

Would you go for white or clear silicone? Would you do it with Dow Corning or just regular cheap contract silicone?

Thanks

I would stick something under the bottom edge, and you could use silicone, I just wouldnt because there are loads of alternatives and if you get some one the front face it will make painting it a pain.

Im also not sure I would have bought MDF skirting for a bathroom but I sounds like you have bought it as which point I would make sure its got a good coat of paint on it and get it fitted.

Daniel

Thanks for your advice.

I can quite easily change to real wood. Would you suggest that it better for a bathroom?

So how would you fit it? No nails the back and would you use something to seal it in? What would you use?

Thanks

Depends what your after.

I would certainly use real wood if you can, some MDFs are better than others but generally while im sure some will disagree they dont respond well to gettting wet, which is fairly unavoidable in a bathroom.

I would then be after mechanically fixing it, with nails into studwork, or on a external wall, masonary nails or screws/plugs. Adheasives such as no more nails work ok for a quick and dirty fixing but dont last for ever and arnt cheap if your doing a lot give that even pluging and screwing doesnt take long.

I would also paint them before fitting, 2-3 coats on the front, and a backing coat on the rear.
Then run a bead of paintable sealent along the bottom edge and bed it down onto that before firing screws into it.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back