Silicone Lubricant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've just put up our folding shower screen & we need to get some "Silicone Lubricant" for round the glass & joints. There was a tiny packet of it in with the screen but we can't find tubes/tubs of it for sale. It was about the consistency of vaseline & doesn't set at all. Would it be under a different name does anyone know? We were wondering about using the permanently flexible type at first but we don't really think it's suitable. Please has anyone got any info? Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
you can buy a can of clear silicone spray from halfords, this is used for door runners, windows etc. and would probably be ideal for your application

However, if you want a non setting sealant that is waterproof,,,, how about vaseline ??????

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's brill. My other half suggested WD40 but I told him that was probably ridiculous! Never considered vaseline - that's exactly what the stuff supplied looked like too. Thanks again for you help!

Sorry, I wrote a long spiel about sealant, then realised you said lubricant. Seems I cannot delete this.

Silicone grease is available from some car parts departments in main dealers, electronics service suppliers and watersports dealers, otherwise there is rubber lubricant, though this has a luxury price tag. Beware of vaseline on rubber seals for long periods, it affects some rubbers.

oilman said:
Beware of vaseline on rubber seals for long periods, it affects some rubbers.

This is why I don't like using it as it also collects dust/grits doing more damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back