Silicone or ShowerSeal Ultra for 10mm gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed the silicone sealant from around my ensuite shower tray and have noticed that there is a gap of about 10mm between the bottom of the tile and the shower tray.

Should I use silicone again on this and use a VERY large helping around the edges, or should I use something like Byretech Shower Seal Ultra 10? I'm leaning toward the Shower Seal but would really appreciate your opinions. Too large a helping of silicone tends to be difficult to finish neatly.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That’s far too big a gap for silicone, use a shower seal; who the hell did the tiling?

Sponsored Links
That’s far too big a gap for silicone, use a shower seal; who the hell did the tiling?
I did the tiling myself :oops: ! It was my first tiling job. Furthermore I didn't know about tanking the walls either so it wasn't done.

Luckily the tiles are huge (14" x 22") so there have been no leaks so far from the tiles. Also there is only one tile with a big gap under it. The only leak was from where I didn't silicone before putting the shower door brackets on, so there is about an inch where there is no silicone. Therefore, I've taken off the shower door, removed all silicone and will try and do it right along with the shower seal (which should be arriving today).

Anyway, I think the main thing is that I've learned from this experience and will definitely know for again.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back