Shower Tray gap of 10mm and crooked tile edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So,

I have to under the previous homeowners handywork. The shower tray in our new house is leaking and basically I'm going to have to take apart the enclosure, remove all the old silicon and start again.

First though, the worst bit. The tiles are big (10"x16" at a guess). They have tiles down to the shower tray but one tile has a gap of 10mm. There was a big wedge of silicone in there before. From the look of the black mould along it's top edge it hadn't adhered to the underside of the tile.
View media item 96976
View media item 96974
Also, the tile next to it sticks out by 4mm more.

View media item 96975
Finally, they have siliconed the inside edge of the profile, rather than just the outside. Poor job.

So, my choice I think are:
-Put another wedge of silicone in there. But how to make sure it adheres to the underside of the tile? Maybe they didn't weigh down the tray when did it last time, so movement has pulled it away?
- Fill the gap with something else? I dunno, grout?
- Use a ShowerSeal (Byretech).

The problem with the shower seal is the crooked tile which will mean it is not flush. However, that tile only has about 4" to go before the edge of the enclosure so I could feasbily cut out a chunk or sand the back edge back, and let it hug the crooked tile. However, I will then lose the "ripple grip" teeth backing.

So, which is the best option? I'm not so sure.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back