Position of shower screen, advise needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tiled a shower enclosure but due to the tiles being handmade and having an uneven surface combined with the wall itself being out, has meant that the to be fitted shower enclosure frame has a gap midway of 6-7mm on the one side. I intend to pack out. as not to distort the frame and fill the gap with either silicone or matching grey tile grout. The instructions advise the shower frame to be inset 13mm from the outside edge of the shower tray. I would like however to mount the frame on the outer edge of the shower tray as this would look aesthetically better and not make the filled gap look so obvious. Is this an absolute no no? secondly, do you think using grout as opposed to silicone to close the gap would be okay? Any advise guys would be much appreciated. TIA.

Sponsored Links
Do exactly as you've suggested, screw it where it is packed out and then silicone the gaps. Don't use grout.

Some of the shower screens have an external adjustment trim which the shower screen sits inside, these do have some movement (even bend), but I have no idea what type you have.

Oh and i would set the screen back a few mm so that you can get a neat silicone bead on the outside edge - if its straight down from the screen you wont be able to. Usually its the outside ONLY that needs sealing to allow water to escape, not the inside
Also, its strange that its saying to set back 13mm(?) make sure there isn't a track runner that sticks out 13mm (if its a sliding screen)

Sponsored Links
Also use a backer rod rather than fill the joint too deep with silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back