silicone sealant - quest for a perfect bead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to be able to do a fairly good job with silicone sealant round a sink , bath or worktop but Im losing the knack. :rolleyes:

Can anyone give me a foolproof method of getting a nice neat bead of silicone?

Sponsored Links
You and me both, Bobb!
I've just made a complete hash of siliconing three sheets of toughened glass together to make a shower screen. After fiddling with it for 2 days, I'm going to bite the bullet, scrape and clean it all off, and mask it, just as Masona suggests here, except I won't do the secondary wipe, as I want to keep the glass absolutely smear free. I'll just put up with the slightly raised edge formed by the thickness of the masking tape...

I've never tried the masking tape idea. Seems too fiddly. I've tried everything else - might as well give it a go.

Good scope for an inventions here. How often do you see perfect silicone sealing?

bobb said:
I've never tried the masking tape idea. Seems too fiddly.
Don't rush it and take your time. If you find it too fiddly, do a small tape length section at a time.

Sponsored Links
Only things ill add is a little bit of fairy liquid on your finger works quite well, and keep the pressure on the gun as constant as humanly possible. Oh and send the wife and kids out so they dont hear you swearing when it goes wrong!

Thermo

Surgical glove also stop the swearing :D

Surgical glove and water works well with me.

not sure i want to use surgical gloves. brings back painful memories.

If I start a run of sealant (i.e) round a bath or on a floor run between skirting and floor and if I hit it right the first time correct angle of gun and the sealant being at room temp it helps, there is a bit of kit on the market through B&Q which is three different angled plastic tools which you can run down your bead after you have cocked it up, cheers

As silicon sealant is now my forte I would just like to say that the masking tape although slightly fiddly, gives an excellent result. You can easily get rid of the slight ridge afterwards by removing the tape and running a finger dipped in washing up liquid gently along it (water dries too quickly). I also find the new canister type dispensers much easier to handle.
Happy sealing! :LOL:

Masking Tape, apply sealant..NOT TO MUCH..(thats usually the problem) ,,wet finger wipe alone sealant....remove tape...BEFORE IT SETS.

DO NOT TOUCH, till dry

The corners are the only fidley bit

Practice on about 400 windows first. I watched the guys fitting new windows on our building - with awe! Quick squirt around and no wiping after. Perfect.

In the US, I've seen electric sealant guns, that help you keep a steady pressure (and therefore flow) of gunk..
At first I thought it was another part of the American quest to remove all manual effort from like (eg electric can openers) but then after fubbing a few silicone beads, I realised the usefullness.

Looking around, I've finally found one - haven't used it though...

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=314361

Now if only DeWalt made one....

another tip is dont cut the nozzle to wide, keep it small!

A bit late to reply I know, when I do a silicone bead instead of drawing the gun backwards leaving a trail of silicone I push the gun forwards, this way the nozzle forms a perfectly cupped profile of bead behind it that needs no finishing. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back