Silicone sealant vs Marble tiles

O

overlandrover

The white mastic between my acrylic bath and marble tiles is leaking.

I'm confident enough to replace this myself, but I'm in a bit of a quandry as to which sealant to use:

- I'd prefer to use an acrylic sealant, as this won't attack the marble, but tend not to come with anti-fungal/anti-bacterial additives.

- Neutral cure silicones are harder to come by, and again don't seem to incorporate anti-mould features. Dow Corning 791 is the front-runner for me at the moment.

- Acid cure silicones are much more readily available, but I'm wary about how they may attack the marble (indeed, some even say not to use with steel or aluminum!)

Can anyone recommend a sealant I should be using againt marble tiles?
Am I getting too hung-up on the possibilty of the acetal acid attacking the marble?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I've been doing some more research since my post, but unfortunately I'm not finding an all-singing/all-dancing neutral cure silicone, at least not one I can buy in an individual tube or over the counter.

I happened to find this 151 product at my local "discount store" yesterday.
I downloaded the datasheet on my phone and discovered it is an acrylic based sealant with anti-fungal properties.
Is this too good to be true?

It appears yes, it probably is too good to be true!
Nevermind, only £1.29 wasted.

I know Dow Corning 785 is the sealant of choice on this forum, but its acetoxy curing properties against the marble still give me cause for concern.

I've also discovered datasheets for Dow Corning 798 and Everflex 700T.

Has anybody had any experience with these?
How do we think a cold-room sealant like DC798 will fare in a hot shower?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back