SILICONE SEALING AROUND SHOWER TRAY

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Wise Old Silicone Sealers,

A professional made a good job of sealing the space between my shower tray and the shower wall tiles. However, it is a new house and I think the tray has settled a bit allowing leaks. My wife tried some repairs but with limited success. Questions are:
1. Can you put too much silicone on? (Some of it just pealed off in large chunks - may not have been sufficiently dry?)
2. Is it okay to put a layer on top of the original if the original is still sound?
3. The tube said to wipe the surface with meths before application. Would this have helped the new surface to stick to the old surface?
4. Any general tips? (Preferably ones which don't involve removing the original filling.)
Many thanks for your kind help.

Sponsored Links
JSM said:
Hello Wise Old Silicone Sealers,

A professional made a good job of sealing the space between my shower tray and the shower wall tiles. However, it is a new house and I think the tray has settled a bit allowing leaks. My wife tried some repairs but with limited success. Questions are:
1. Can you put too much silicone on? (Some of it just pealed off in large chunks - may not have been sufficiently dry?)

Yes,you can (put too much on)

2. Is it okay to put a layer on top of the original if the original is still sound?

No, it doesn't stick well to itself.

3. The tube said to wipe the surface with meths before application. Would this have helped the new surface to stick to the old surface?

No it's to clean the surface of dirt and grease.

4. Any general tips? (Preferably ones which don't involve removing the original filling.)

Yep, rip it all out and redo it. Sorry :cry:

Many thanks for your kind help.

JSM,
From a wise old silicone sealer.Get someone in to do the job again from scratch.The wife might have done the job with limited success as a patch up,but in such a vital area, it has to be done right this time, as you say,the tray has settled. :)

Roughcaster

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back