Silver Sand

LDS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So basically I’ve been making decorative concrete for a few years. It took me ages to find out how to get a natural grey colour, by swapping sharp sand for silver sand. Apparently the silver sand is colourless so the concrete takes on the colour of the cement.

Now I can’t get silver sand, anywhere. The stuff I was getting said on the bag for light coloured mortar and concrete. Now any silver sand is either for play pits or horticultural. So do you think there is any difference? I emailed one supplier of play sand and he said it can’t be used for concrete. The horticultural stuff is like 3 times the price. Or does anyone know another colour neutral sand?
TIA

Sponsored Links
It's more related to the fineness of the grains than the colour of them.

The sand needs to be washed, clean and sharp which play pit or builder's sand isn't. Not sure about horticultural sand, that sounds like it will be too gritty with large grains.

Can't you get kiln dried sand?

Yes I can get kiln dried sand. Do you think that will do the trick?

Sponsored Links
I’m in the West Midlands. I was getting it from Wickes’ all last year but they’re website says its out of stock now. It looks like they’re doing away with it to be honest.

Normal sand from a builders yard has chemicals and whatnot added to ensure it binds well with concrete, whereas play sand does not.

Yeh the stuff I saw just had silver sand write on the bag but the website description was ‘for play pits’. I guess there’s different kinds of silver sand.

You can use silver sand for building with, have used it for pointing to get a white colour, Perry Barr Wickes have stock,don't know if too far away.

I've always thought that kiln dried sand is silver sand dried in a kiln.

Normal sand from a builders yard has chemicals and whatnot added to ensure it binds well with concrete, whereas play sand does not.
What "chemicals"? There is nothing on the bag, no COSHH leaflets.

Normally, it comes straight out the pit, is washed and filtered and bagged, that's it.

You can use silver sand for building with, have used it for pointing to get a white colour, Perry Barr Wickes have stock,don't know if too far away.

Just looked says 56 in stock, there was 0 the other day, looks like they’re re stocking, thanks pal

I've always thought that kiln dried sand is silver sand dried in a kiln.
No kiln dry sand is finer, i did try using some years ago when i ran out of normal sand, near impossible to mix.
Some Builders merchants sell Silver sand and say it's also suitable for playpits,so may well be same stuff, but sand labeled as playpit sand is a lot more expensive.
Another problem is sand is known by different names around the country, the silver sand i use has larger particles than KDS.

Last edited:
Sand.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back