SIME 400 boiler questions and noisy radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - i have a couple of questions if i may which i'd appreciate some advice on:

firstly we have a SIME boiler (400 i think). The water only seems to get hot when the central heating is switched on. If we run the water whilst the heating is not on then it gets lukewarm at best. Any ideas??? (also how much might a new bolier cost - ballpark as i'm told these boilers aren't the best).

Secondly we have a noisy radiator - basically when the heating comes on it clunks at about 2-3 second intervals for periods of about 1minute. It will then stop for a few minutes and then start again. I've seen the suggestions about securing the pipes but i would have only thought this happens as the pipes are warming up not once they are already warm?

Finally, another radiator in the house makes very loud noises at the thermostat sometimes. A minor twist of the thermostat and it goes away (until next time). Basically we have to leave the thermo fully open or the problem reoccurs. I've been told that its on the exit and not the entry pipe - is likely to be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
The diverter valve in the boiler has failed.

A new cheaper boiler installed is about £1400.

The pipes are probably sticking on the wood.

The TRV should be relocated on the flow or replaced with a bi directional type. Or an auto bypass fitted as should have been fitted originally!

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I guess the diverter valve replacement needs a plumber (i wouldn't know where to start) is this a big job? (expensive?

I'm not convinced about the sticking on the wood cause it carries on the whole time the heating is on, not just when the pipes expand?

TRV - is this a simple job or a plumber job again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back