SIME Ecomfort 30HE woes !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, could do with some help with this one as it's fully perplexed my gas fitting mate !!!

I have the above boiler, couple of months ago it started flashing the top LED on the front panel red. No very often at all, just intermittent. IIRC it started when we first fired up the CH after the summer lay off.
So I rings the lad who installed it (along with a complete new radiator installation) for us 3 years ago and he came and had a look, replaced the wireless roomstat with a traditional dial (which we wanted doing anyways) and all seemed well. But then it started doing it again, being crazy busy at work it slipped my mind and I never got round to getting it sorted (it was a very intermittent problem, house was still warm, never lost hot water).
So fast forward a couple of months and now it is a problem !! :rolleyes:

The sypmtoms are as follows :

If I turn the roomstat right down, it'll run red hot water all day long, no sign of a red light flashing. It also runs the CH at the same time if I turn up the room stat while the DHW is flowing. (I think).
If I then turn the hot water tap off and the roomstat is still demanding water for the CH, it'll last exactly 3 minutes then it powers off and the red light starts flashing.
If I then flick it off at the mains, the green light comes back on and the CH chuggs along for exactly 3 minutes then powers off and the red light comes on. Same every time. If I just leave it alone it flash red for anywhere between 20 minutes and 30 minutes the fire back up for 3 minutes etc etc.

Things i've done myself to elimate the easy stuff :

The condensate pipe was frozen at the bottom and in the wall, I've sliced it off outside, plugged the hole in the wall and presently have it piped and running into a bucket underneath the boiler. It fills it up in around 3/4 days.

Emptied the trap at the back and checked for blockages

Drained the boiler etc and emptied the filter at the front left.

Swapped the mains cable to a three core wire from the 5 core wire that it was originally installed with and have it running to another plug nearby. It was wired into a fused spare originally.
Dried all the insides with a hairdryer to eliminate the possibilty of damp connectors.

At the moment, it's not the end of the world, house is still warm enough and the missus has hot water !! :)

just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this problem because my mate is stumped and he's been a gas fitter for 20 years ! Didn't want to start throwing money at it replacing bits if someone has had a similar experience.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Scott

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back