Sime Planet Super 4.W.M Blowing Pcb Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

first of all i'm not a boiler engineer :oops: so be gentle with me

i had the above boiler working fine until a few hours ago then dead, no lights so i knew it was possibly electrical and not mechanical but could be wrong.

First i swapped the 3amp fuse in the main socket - still wouldnt turn on

Next i got to the Pcb board and saw the glass fuse had gone, next to it is some lettering 1.6AT, my neighbour is an electrician and was prepared to have look but obviously to a certain point.

The fuse in it that had blown was a 0.2m and he was confused to how the board said it should be 1.6AT as it had worked for 2 years with this fuse as it came with the board when i had to have a new pcb board.

He thought it should have a bigger fuse, so we tried a bigger fuse and the boiler turned on, heating and hot water worked.

He was concerned that the bigger fuse would may cause damage as it was letting to much power into the board. So he said he would work up from 0.2 until the boiler stop blowing fuses and see what size fuse would sort the problem.

0.2 failed, 0.4 worked so he stopped at that the boiler fired up, hot water and heating for 1 hour then fuse has just gone.

I dont want to knock on his door as its late but i have just had a brainwave :D .. has he misread the original fuse and would it have been a 2amp fuse not 0.2 because i have just been trawling the web and read a post on a forum somewhere that they dont do a 1.6 fuse it would be 2amp... but that could be wrong

earlier he also tried disconnecting pumps but it blew with both pumps disconnected until he put a 0.4 fuse in

Not a major deal at this time of night as kids and new born are tucked up in bed but tomorrow we need heat and water :cry:

i know most will recomend an engineer but could it be something as simple as i need a 2 amp fuse, just dont want to fry the board

Sponsored Links
0.2m specifies the length so thats not right! Its actually 20 mm long!

It could well have been a 2A fuse and a "T" time delay fuse at that.

1.^ A is a standard fuse valve and one commonly used in many boilers!

Only replace with a 1.6 A time delay. Althougn a 2.0 AF for "fast blow" is going to be pretty close to the same characteristics.

No point in encouraging the PCB to fail. You will have enough fun when the pressure sensor plays up!

Tony

Sponsored Links
a 2amp fuse not 0.2 because i have just been trawling the web and read a post on a forum somewhere that they dont do a 1.6 fuse it would be 2amp... but that could be wrong

It is, 20mm 1.6A fuses are common and are readily available
replace it with the fuse specified or you will be sorry in the long run
A fuse repeatably blowing is a sign of a fault, its rated to protect the pcb
and just because its blowing does not mean there is a fault with the pcb itself but if you going to keep upping the rating then you do risk damaging it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back