Simple advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have absolutely no colour awareness of "what goes" in terms of colours etc!

My whole flat, including lounge, is magnolia. My sofas are a yellowy colour - I want a feature wall (the old chimney breast) to break it up a bit. What colours would go? I was thinking something different - maybe a purple or black?!

As well as the sofas there is an oak table and shelving unit!

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers people!

Graham

Sponsored Links
I'd try a small patch with a tester pot with this colour.

Instead of highlighting the colours, see if you can blend it in?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 129
Purple and black will look good on the wall with contrast color yellow. But I would suggest to try yellow and gray or Spring green with yellow. These colors compliment yellow very well.

Sponsored Links
Purple and black will look good on the wall with contrast color yellow. But I would suggest to try yellow and gray or Spring green with yellow. These colors compliment yellow very well.
I hope this is a joke.

Those combinations sound appalling.

May be you find those combinations awful, but yellow and green compliments each other very well.

Master-Bedroom-Light-Green-Accent-Wall-Paint-Design.jpg

7.jpg

The word you need is 'complement', btw.

However, I maintain that the colour schemes in both your photos are aesthetically unpleasing. A little bit of lime green or lemon yellow goes a long way. A lot of either has a bilious effect. The green in the bedroom photo looks terrible with that coffee colour and the red. The living room is slightly better but it still has a very dated look - very 60s, but without proper retro design features.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back