Painting over a bright mural

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a very large and bright mural on one wall in my sons bedroom.

I would like to know what i can seal this with before painting over it so stop the colours bleeding through the new paint (magnolia). Would an oil based undercoat do this?

The mural is made up of red, orange, yellow, green, blue & purple with a black marker pen outline!!

Sponsored Links
Yes, oil base undercoat will do the trick, make sure every bit is covered though.

and you might hide it better if you put on a coat of grey, rather than just white-ish, before your finish colour.

Sponsored Links
If they were done in ordinary emulsion then theres no reason they should bleed through...if they were poster paint then yes they will need sealing

You mnetioned the lines..done with a black marker pen..this my bleed throung oil based undercoat too..id suggest you give the lines a coat of white knotting (often called styptic knotting) first

Dulux Stain Block Plus is great for covering over marker pens but it WILL need two or three coats.

An update:

2 coats of Crown (it was on offer, making it cheaper than Homebase's own brand) white oil based undercoat and the mural is completely covered and the black marker pen lines are no longer bleeding through - result.

Thanks for all the input guys ;)

also i find a product called BIN from zinsser very good at stopping stains

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back