Making paint colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have promised to paint my son's bedroom which is quite large and we're on a bit of a budget (aren't we all?!). If I was to buy some reasonable quality magnolia paint which I think is the cheapest colour, and add a couple of drops of blue food colouring, would the paint still be ok to use?

Sponsored Links
I have promised to paint my son's bedroom which is quite large and we're on a bit of a budget (aren't we all?!). If I was to buy some reasonable quality magnolia paint which I think is the cheapest colour, and add a couple of drops of blue food colouring, would the paint still be ok to use?
No.

You could try a tube of waterpaint from the art shop but for the price of it you may as well get the paint mixed properly or you will get problems.
Its not going to cost you that much more to do it right.

Yes I suppose it won't cost much more to do it properly, I think I'm trying to be too thrifty here aren't i?!

Sponsored Links
Yes I suppose it won't cost much more to do it properly, I think I'm trying to be too thrifty here aren't i?!
Yes, although 'thrifty' probably isn't the right word!

Think about it. 5 litres of vinyl matt emulsion in a colour of your choice will cost you approximately £25-30. (5 litres should be enough to give the average to large bedroom 2 coats. You will need another 2-3 litres of white (or whatever) for the ceiling).

Your 'magnolia + food colouring' idea will cost you as above plus the cost of the adulterated magnolia, which you will have to throw away because it will not work. No brainer!

If you can't afford £30, spend £10-15 on a 10 litre tub of brilliant white instead and let him graffitti all over it or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back