Simple Burglar Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
At our bowls club, we have an alarm that is activated by a keypad, we would ideally like an alarm that is activated just by locking the front door.
Unlocking would deactivate the alarm. Any idea where I can find such an alarm?
We don't want an alarm that requires an app, we tried one of them and for us, it's not practical.
Cheers,
Colin

Sponsored Links
I believe you would need some type of smart lock installed in your door which would be compatible with your alarm. The smart lock would send an un-arm / arm command when door is opened or locked.

Typically, a door has a magnetic reed that trips the circuit when the door is opened.

As @Sonic007 says, you will need a lock that communicates with the alarm system. As a lay person, I cannot think of one. I do think it might be likely that you can have some kind of key "lock" fitted to the frame/exterior that will disarm the alarm. It won't be a lock that opens or closes the door but a key operated switch that turns the alarm off. You will however need to ensure that the alarm arms with out someone needing to use the key when leaving.

Hopefully one of the pros will be along soon to give you better advice.

I would think that some of the newer alarm manufacturers who focus on smart home products would offer locks that integrate with an alarm.
Companies like "Ring" for example.

Sponsored Links
An alarm that disarms itself when you unlock the door isn't the greatest idea. If someone finds/steals the keys to the building or picks the lock the alarm will automatically disarm for them when they unlock the door.

Oh my word !!!

Just No No No!!!!

It can be done on most alarm systems that have a keyswitch zone type.

However these are used normally for once your inside the building to deactivate the alarm, rather than deactivate from outside the building.

Cant comment on your exact requirements as a suitable compromise between what you want and what is actually considered good practice. I would recommend you get local installers to quote you on some options.

Oh my word !!!

Just No No No!!!!

It can be done on most alarm systems that have a keyswitch zone type.

However these are used normally for once your inside the building to deactivate the alarm, rather than deactivate from outside the building.

Cant comment on your exact requirements as a suitable compromise between what you want and what is actually considered good practice. I would recommend you get local installers to quote you on some options.

This isnt about those little key activation switches you see insiude properties.
You can get smart homes that are linked to a smart alarm. There are several such as Ring, Boundary, etc.
They can integrate with cameras, sensors, Geofences, etc.

But as others have said, it means if the keys are stolen they basically let themselves in and disable the alarm themselves so happy days for the burgluer.
Saying that, most smart alarms will give you instant notifications.

I'd say it's not really worth the hastle as you'll be needing a brand new system.

If you dont want to enter a number into a keypad, you could use fobs that you just tap on the panel as you enter.

Tap on / Tap off Fob probably easiest option then.

Thanks for the advice.
Our alarm is not a smart alarm it's been in for as long as I can remember.
The idea was to upgrade so that not all members need the code, but the alarm is on when the last member leaves of the evening.
We did try one that had two cameras and was activated from an app.
Six members of the committee could have the app, but whenever we tried to activate it, all we got was activation failed.
You have to remember as well that being a bowls club a lot of our members are elderly and not gadget savvy, so something simple is required.
Also, committee members are not always around when ordinary members want to play.
It's not like a business, which is always manned.
Cheers,
Colin

Last edited:
The prox tag option sounds like the solution possibly.

First things first how many members?
Or how many need access?

You can certainly have an alarm that time arms, so that if someone forgets to arm the alarm it will at least be armed every night at a fixed time.

The issue becomes cost and tracking of who has fobs and them being returned when membership ends.
Panels will allow a fob per user, you can on some systems have the same fob for multiple users on the system, the problem then becomes ifa tag is lost you may want reset all the tags that share the same user number.
Then it comes down to costs of each fob,

There are lots of different things that could be done, but as for your best solution depends on many things.

If someone loses or has stolen a key with the fob attached, the finder can let themself in

We have about 100 members and everyone needs access.
Our keys do not have a fob so if someone finds them in the street, they won't know where they come from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back