Simple Driveway gates.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10ft opening at the side of my property.

The plan is to put a couple of 6ft high by 5ft wide (approx) wooden gates.

I was thinking a strong, economical method would be to have a steel frame, slightly smaller than the finished doors fabricated. Then attach some timber cladding to the front eg. T&G or Heavy feather edge.

The doors would then hinge on timber posts, secured in concrete.

Does this sound a simple, robust, economical solution?

or should I just get some tried and tested off the shelf wooden gates at around the 300 quid mark

Sponsored Links
Just make sure the timber you use is suitable for exterior use

I had something very similar on my last house! but each gate folded into it self and i had 3 post stopper things on the rar, so the middle section of the right hand gate operated like a normal door.

I had all the steel work made where i used to work and used the T&G onto batons and the battens were bolted to the steel work!

But we found that the T&G expanded when it rained and i was forever planing it back, even though it was for outdoor use and heavily treated!!!

I have pics somewhere, i'll try and post them later!

You could swing them off metal posts, or rsj's that have been concreted in, then clad afterwards. A hardwood would be better for this I 'wood' think. Dig 'em deep, very deep!

Sponsored Links
depends what you are making the gates out of. a 10ft wide drive will give you 2 gates that are 5 ft wide, only 2 feet wider than a normal pathway gate. A decent timber gate post 6 x 6 or 8 x 8, concreted deep and well in will be more than strong enough.

Decided to get some timber gates made up.

I changed the split from 5ft/5ft to 6ft/4ft

The bigger side will hang off a timber post which in turn will be bolted to the brick property.

I'm using 30" hook and band hinges on that leaf as the joiner is making the doors 'heavy duty'

The smaller gate will be 4ft wide and I'm hanging that off a 5"X5" oak post concreted 2ft into the ground.

So what you guys reckon .... spec'ed ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back