Simple garage partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a detached flat roofed garage in our back garden that has 2 x entrances (double doors at the front and side door at the back) We would like to put a partiton in it so that my wife can use the back of the garage as a storage space for her ceramics, couple of questions:-

_ I was going to build a partition frame using softwood and chipboard. Is the latter the right material for panneling as image plywood would be pricey?

- I have a wood beam on the garage roof that I can attach the partion to but the walls are concrete slabs and the floor is a regular concrete base. Can I drill into the concrete base and put rawl plugs in to secure the softwood frame with screws? Or is there a better way to secure the softwood frame to the floor

thanks in advance for any adviice

Adam

Sponsored Links
You can indeed drill into the base of the garage to fit the stud work.
I would restrict the hole depth to about 75mm, in case there is a DPM in the slab. There could also be reinforcement steel in it, this could hinder your drilling.
If the garage is prone to damp, I would not use either ply or chip board.
You would be best using a moisture resistant plasterboard known as MR.
Your upright/vertical studs are best fitted at 400mm centres, with nogins fitted about half way up the wall, this will offer good support and allow for less cuts of boards.
I assume insulation and sound proofing is not a factor?

thanks. no I simply want to build a partition to keep all the usual garage things seperate from ceramics storage

If that's the case could well be a waste of time/money installing insulation.
The standard MR board should cost no more £10 for 2400mm X 1200 X 12.5mm sized boards, if comparing prices against Ply and Chipboard, I think this is a fair price, considering they will perform better in damp/moist conditions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. I guess I would need to go to Jewsons during the week for MR pasterboard rather than the usual domestic outlets?

Most good builder merchants, should stock them even Wickes!
But if it's a out of the way trip, I would suggest you called them first, to see if in store stock was available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back