Fixing wooden frame to garage entrance - DPC considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double garage sized outbuilding at the back of my property, no longer accessible by a vehicle and have partitioned it down the middle so one side can be used for storage but the other side can be 'kitted out' for office/ gym use. I've had the floor dug out and levelled with 100mm kingspan boards, DPC and 4-5 inches of concrete laid so far. I'm now at the point where I need to cover the gaping entrance void. The concrete floor is now level with the outside ground and I am considering a full wooden frame for windows and a door to let in as much light as possible.
I'm wary of DPC but also don't want to raise the internal floor if it can be helped as the loss ofd height towards the back will give me a sore head!

Can I get away with a 100mm lintel across to front, cemented, bolted and sealed to the entrance floor on which I can lay DPC on top ready to take a wooden frame? This would then leave me with a step up/down on entrance and exit but nothing too drastic.

I was thinking the following would work, laid with 100mm as the height?

Supreme Prestressed Textured Concrete Lintel 100mm x 140mm x 3600mm R15

Any advice on how best to secure it would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back