Simple switchable door chime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just spent a couple of hours trawling the web and I can't find what I want. What I want is very simple:

- A door chime that operates when the door is opened, like when a customer goes into a shop.
- It needs to be easily deactivated by a switch, so, when the switch is off, it doesn't chime even if the door opens.
- It needs to be cheap and easy to install (as such a simple product should be).
- Nothing else. No activation delays or motion sensors or fancy bits that make it harder to use.

I don't really want an alarm system. I want a simple auditory notification that the door has opened. A mechanical ding-dong bell would be fine except that it is not switchable, except by muffling the clapper, and this would be beyond my disabled friend's ability to do.

I could probably make one of these things by buying a magnetically operated battery door chime and botching a switch in there somewhere. But I wouldn't be able to install it myself as I live hundreds of miles away. Something off-the-shelf would be far preferable.

What it's for: to alert the mother of a disabled kid if he wanders out of the house while she is upstairs working on her computer. She doesn't want to keep the door locked all the time. And she wants it switchable so it doesn't keep going off when she's coming in and out of the house. It needs to be simple to use as the mother is disabled too and can't cope with too much faffing about.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. Looks like it might be the right product. That clearly didn't take you long to find. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back