Single core cable for 1 way 3 gang light switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to wire an office in the garden and one of the circuits from the CU will be a 1 way 3 gang light switch as per the image. I'm trying to work out what cable I'll need to use as the neutral goes directly to the ligth fittings (in the ceiling via conduit) but the phased to the 3 gang switch. This seems to rule out using 2 or 3 core and mean I need some suitably insulated single core to make it happen. Is this correct? Was thinking of 1.5mm.
NzTqfLE.jpg

Sponsored Links
Run the Neutral conductor to the switch position using T&E -

then you can use a normal T&E from the switch to each light (with the four Neutrals connected together at the switch)

or five-core flex from the switch to the first light.

Each cable should have a CPC(earth wire) even if not required.

They make single core sheathed and insulated cable.

They also make sheathed cable consisting of one single insulated wire and one bare earth wire.

Incredibly hard to buy down South mind.

Something like EFLI suggests sounds right.

You may be able to use T+E and some junction boxes to achieve what you want - but there is probably no need for that, partly because it can over-complicate things, partly because the junction box may be inaccessible, and partly because the next man may not thank you for it.

Run the Neutral conductor to the switch position using T&E -

then you can use a normal T&E from the switch to each light (with the four Neutrals connected together at the switch)

or five-core flex from the switch to the first light.

Each cable should have a CPC(earth wire) even if not required.
That makes sense. I'm assuming there's typically a connector point for the neutral as part of the switch plate?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back