single core heat resistant cable - aaaarrgghh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

tearing my hair out on this one. i'm refitting a pair of bedroom wall lights. its got metal flexi-stalks so you can adjust the position of the light when your reading a book.

I need new cable and i have been told it is heat resistant due to the 'feel' of the sheeth. there are two white single core cables (each with sheeth is about 2mm thick) that run down the inside of the flexi-stalk. its a tight fit.

I cant find single core heat resistant anywhere. 2 core yes, but 2 core wont fit. i cant strip down 2 core either as only the outer sheeth is heat resistant and not the inner.

greatly appreciate any help.

thanks

Hairy-Harry

Sponsored Links
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=silicone+wire&hl=en

thanks for the google link, flameport.

some of the best leads seem to be from aircraft model suppliers. will need to check with them on monday and find out what 'guage' i have and if their cables can carry mains voltage. looks good though. thanks

Hairy-Harry

Rs sell it for mains voltage.

Should not need larger than 18 AWG or 1.0mm I would have thought.

Sponsored Links
What sort of lamp does it take, most fittings you can get away with stripping the cores from,

Heat resistant pvc flex,afaik the sheath and the cores are both 80 degrees, same as butyl but more resiliant.

Silicon or the waxed fibreglass sleeving can be used at the terminals for further heat protection.
If you buy a cheap B anQ bulkhead you may get about 300 mm of sleeving for about £2

Do we think that :

• hairyharry is now baldharry, after having been tearing his hair out for nearly 10 months?

or
  • he will either have managed to rewire his lights or replaced them by now?

So far it's 2 votes for (a) and 1 for (b).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back