Single Lightswitch (running 2 lights) to a Double Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am very confused!

In the existing single switch there is a single red wire going into a whole numbered 1 and 3 other red wires going into plug called Common.

None of the red wires have any other markings on them.

All 4 earths are together in a chock block and the 4 neutrals are also together in a chock block.

I wanted the two lounge lights independantly on a dimmer?? Is that possible?

My dimmer has two transformers both with a L, a Sw and a hole with an arrow through a line.

Can anybody shed some light?????

Sponsored Links
You can't switch your two lights seperatly without doing some rewiring I'm afraid.

I'm reading your post differently so could you post a photo of the existing switch?

If your lounge lights have been fed separately from the 1 gang switch it may be possible to add a 2 gang dimmer.

I agree with RF, there's only one switched live going away to the two lamps.

It'll need another cable.....

Sponsored Links
without using a tester and checking between the single red and neutral with the switch off, there is no way to be certain that the 3 reds are the live feed and loops..

it's certainly the most plausible answer but not 100 percent certain..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back