Single outside switch 2 way 20AX Waterproof

bsa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced an outside switch which has a neon indicator in. The way it works is when the switch is off the indicator is on and its a red light. When the switch turns on the neon light goes off and the outside light works like it should do. I've noticed that when the switch is off theres a low current still in the wires to the light when I tested it. Does this have something to do with the neon light being on? Thanks, Tony

Sponsored Links
I replaced an outside switch which has a neon indicator in. The way it works is when the switch is off the indicator is on and its a red light. When the switch turns on the neon light goes off and the outside light works like it should do. I've noticed that when the switch is off theres a low current still in the wires to the light when I tested it. Does this have something to do with the neon light being on? Thanks, Tony

It does seem likely, my switches with red LED indicators show when on not off, I can see having a neon showing off to show where switch is being a good idea, but not actually found one that does that.

I know my light switches with indicator LED's always allow a small current to flow, even when off, it is how the switch without neutral gets power for the electronics in the switch, so power must be switched off else where before working on the circuit. And you have to use dimmable LED bulbs or they can flash when switched off, in fact even some classed as dimmable still flash and I have needed to fit load capacitors.

I wonder how you have measured low current, as my clamp-on ammeter will only measure down to 0.1 amp and the off current is likely 0.001 amp or less.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I measured it with a multimeter, on setting ACV 2. I did this as I got a slight electric shock from the wire when it was off. I should have turned it off from the main fuse box but thought the switch would be enough.
I disconnected the LED from the switch and no current but light still worked, so it does seem like the LED is allowing a small current to flow, which is right as you say. Thanks, Tony

First of all you need to study and understand what a switch does -
and the difference between Voltage and current.

On
upload_2021-5-5_12-13-56.png

Voltage on both wires and current will flow if a load (e.g. light) is connected.

Off
upload_2021-5-5_12-15-14.png

Voltage on red wire (probably) and no current flowing.

If you touch the red, you will be the load and you will feel the Voltage and current will flow through you (if you also touch the blue or are earthed).

If you touch the red, you will be the load and you will feel the Voltage and current will flow through you (if you also touch the blue or are earthed).

Not a great suggestion to a novice!

I wasn't suggesting he do it.

I was explaining what happened as he said he had already done it.

A switch lets you control some thing turning it on or off, an isolator makes some thing safe to work on, often with domestic only isolator is the main switch in the consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back