single outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, on this house refurb there is a exterior single wall it is 9” thick made of red brick
When we purchased this old house I noticed that the render had cracked on the corner obviously down to frost getting in and expanding, chipped it all off had it rendered with a waterproof scratch coat then a second render ready for painting, I have noticed that moisture is showing through on the render in the same corner haven’t painted it yet, not sure but I think the red solid brick is still holding moisture, the wall has a DP membrane well above the ground and the room is well ventilated, been looking for any area that water might be getting in it appears watertight, no smell of damp or black mould inside, this wall, any ideas what may be the cause of the moister retention in the brick and how I could cure the problem to stop it happening again before we get the next freezing winter that will crack off the render again

Crabby

Sponsored Links
It could be deliquescent salts in the wall. These salts attract moisture from the air, causing condensation. Sometimes, the salts can come from the aggregate in the original rendering material (eg unwashed beach sand etc).

It could be deliquescent salts in the wall. These salts attract moisture from the air, causing condensation. Sometimes, the salts can come from the aggregate in the original rendering material (eg unwashed beach sand etc).

thanks you response sounds very likely

crabby

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back