Single Oven Wiring - Help Needee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All!

Background: I am installing a new kitchen and I am trying to install my electric single oven. At the moment I have a 45 amp supply to a Cooker control unit. The oven will use a max of 2.1 kW, and require the following depending on the connection:

13 A socket outlet/spur - Fuse 13 A min.
Cooker control unit - 15 A min. 20 A max

My question is can I connect to the CCU even thought the cooker only needs 13 A min, and there is a 45 A supply to the CCU? Would this burn out the cooker? I would prefer to use the CCU, since there would be no cable coming up from the oven to a 13 A socket.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The cooker will not burn out due to the high rating of the connection. For example you could wire a 60W lamp to the CCU and the lamp will not overheat. The principle is that the load will only draw the amount of current (and turn it into heat/light) that it is designed to take by virtue of the designed resistance built into it. However, if the load shorts to earth there will be little resistance and then the size of the fuse protecting the load will be a major safety factor. Your oven will be fine if you wire to the CCU. You should consider reducing the size of the CB in the consumer unit to 20A.

Wrong. You must not use the CCU as it stands, because that would result in the oven being fused at 45A.

You must not connect it to the CCU unless you change the fuse/mcb at the CU end to not more than 20A (16 would be better).

Alternately, you could replace the CCU with a 13A double socket, and simply plug the oven in.

You'd have got more response in the electrical forum - this is classed as an electrics question not an appliance one really.

Slyppr, I refer you to my last sentence, which effectively covered the whole of your post. Furthermore, fitting a double socket when it is known that a fixed 3Kw appliance will draw from it is risky; particularly if a 1Kw kettle is also used on the same socket plate. The safest thing to keep the CCU, which probably has a supplementary socket for a kettle or whatever, and protect them both with a 20A MCB.

Sponsored Links
kevnurse said:
Slyppr, I refer you to my last sentence, which effectively covered the whole of your post. Furthermore, fitting a double socket when it is known that a fixed 3Kw appliance will draw from it is risky; particularly if a 1Kw kettle is also used on the same socket plate. The safest thing to keep the CCU, which probably has a supplementary socket for a kettle or whatever, and protect them both with a 20A MCB.

You're missing the point. You advised him to run a 3KW oven with a protective device of 45A. That is downright dangerous.

"You should consider" is not the same as "You must"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back