Single pump installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please don't shoot me down in flames -

Am looking to install a Stuart turner monsoon single pump on a dedicated feed from a communal hot water supply that runs through our flats - are there any valves that should be installed between this feed and the pump?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Hi Kev,

Thanks for reply - was going to put an isolation valve, so glad am along the right lines!

Some manufacturers specifically say do not put a non-return valve in to allow the pump to vent back if need be - is this the case with the Stuart Turner Monsoon ones?

Am I right in thinking that because the Monsoon uses a flow switch it shouldn't be triggered by a pressure change elsewhere in the system before the pump?

Thanks for help again!

Sponsored Links
It depends which ST Monsoon you use. The installation instrs should be online.?

Am probably going for the ST Monsoon 3bar single - which by the looks of it has a flow switch?

What is the capacity of the communal store and what size are the delivery pipes. How far away is the communal store and how many units does it serve.

You may have issues if you drain the store down leaving your neighbours with cold showers!

Pete

Hi Pete,

no danger of draining down the communal store, serves 24 flats - but the pipework i'm using only serves three directly, the communal store is held in the basement and then pumped round the pipework - have been told by our plumbers that this means it counts as a positive head.

We are on the 1st floor, so the store is in the basement and then pumped in a circuit through the three floors.

The delivery pipes are 22mm or thereabouts (cast iron pipework!)

Does this all make sense?

Yes makes sense however if it is pumped what flow and pressure is it currently?

I doubt if your pump will pull the hot water through the communal pump at an expected rate.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for reply - do you think it will just mean a slightly lower level of performance, or do you think it won't work at all?

I doubt you will pull the hot water any faster and may even cause the pump to cavitate which happens when it sucks in air which will damage the pump.

Have you checked your lease about installing a pump? At least speak to the maintenance man/company and ask them if this is possible before you go to the expense of purchasing a pump.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks very much for being so much help - really appreciate it.

I did speak to the firm we contract and they thought it will be okay - but I am going to give him another call tomorrow and see what he has to say regarding the potential issues you've raised!

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back