Single radiator not heating up

I just tried that - the pipe for the living room motorised valve gets hot, but the radiator still stays cold including the 2 pipes at each end. I only let it run for ~5 minutes though, I will try to run it a bit longer and see if there's any difference

edit: Just to note, I had to look up what the motorised valves are to see what I was looking for, and it looks like there should be some resistance when I pop it to manual - it was almost completely smooth on mine, and it doesn't default back to the 'auto' side when it's unclipped from the manual edge
Sounds like it's goosed ,and stuck in the closed position. The pipes both sides of the valve should get very hot when the boiler is running, is only one pipe hot ?

Sponsored Links
If its energised open then it will feel like that, try it with its room stat turned right down.

Sounds like it's goosed ,and stuck in the closed position. The pipes both sides of the valve should get very hot when the boiler is running, is only one pipe hot ?
I think you're right, on one side of the valve the pipe gets very hot and on the other I'd say it's just above warm. A big difference to the hallway valve where both sides of the pipe is pretty much too hot to touch
If its energised open then it will feel like that, try it with its room stat turned right down.
I switched off the problem thermostat and the switch still has a very loose feeling

You should be able to remove the actuator and then try turning the valve spindle approx 45 deg one way or the other with a adjustable spanner or a pliers and see if any joy, what make of motorised valve??

Sponsored Links
I've taken off the valve and switched on the hallway stat to see if it works. I'm not too sure which way is on or off for the pipe so I'll need to test the spindle out in both positions

The valve is a Honeywell one, looks like a lot of the ones I'm seeing on Youtube

No luck unfortunately - tried to leave the spindle on both positions (was very easy to move by hand so don't think it's stuck or anything) but the problem rad wouldn't heat up whatsoever.

Yep looks like I'll need to get someone to come and check it out. Thanks for your taking your time to help - much appreciated

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back