single skin extension

12 Nov 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hello all this is my first post and hoping someone can help

I have a two storey single skin extension, I have drawings from a structual engineer thats says to fix a new stud wall to the inside and fix it to the existing brick wall. I have built the stud walls using 4x2 c16 timber but am unsure how to fix the stud wall to the masonary wall. I started using metal angle brackets and screwing them to the stud wall/ brick wall but im not sure if this is enough ? any advice would be gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Why hasn't your engineer specified the fixings and method - it's part of his job?

Without knowing details of the rest of the construction its hard to comment. How do these fixings deal with the need for the waterproof membrane?
Im not sure why, reading through it, it just says "new timber stud wall fixed to existing 102mm brick skin"
im replacing the floor joists with 6x2 timbers which are sitting on the new stud wall its just that i wanted to tie in the stud wall to the brick wall.
Woody is correct in advising that the SE should specify fixing methods - you need to get him/her to advise on the type, size and spacing of the fixings, all of which are essential to a proper job.

Incidentally, it must have taken your SE years of study, hard work and a collection of degrees to come up with such a brilliant solution as studwork.

What makes me curious is how you have a two-storey extension with half-brick thick walls. Is it old? How is the floor supported? Does it leak when it rains? The mind boggles.
Sponsored Links
yes, its Victorian, originally the first floor joists were built into the brickwork, the new ones are sitting on the new stud wall, Ive had the property for 8 years and its never had any damp or leaked its just that I couldn't sell it with only a single skin.
Most unusual - presumably an outrigger at the rear?
Bet it is cold in winter!
An outrigger?
Should I also have painted the internal walls with a bitumen type paint to seal it? I hope I can still do it as the stud walls are up! I suppose building regs will advise...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local