Single Skin Front Porch - Thoughts/Advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

First time poster.

I am building front porch under permitted development at the front of my house and needs some clarity/ thoughts on certain areas of the build:

1) The porch is going to be single skin using concrete blocks as I do not want to lose internal space. Its important I can store things such as a pram in the area.
2) The porch is going to be 1m by 3m with a pier either side of the doorway.
3) The roof will be a tiled hip roof.
4) The Foundations are 800mm deep in to the ground which is 1.3m below the DPC of the original building.
5) The foundations are 300mm wide and 400mm thick with gen 3 concrete and reinforced with 10 steel bars. The 400mm matches the original building which is a 2 story semi-detached town house.
6) The front door is off centred to the left and measures 99.6cm by 206 cm.
7) The window is off centre to the right and is 104cm.
8) To prevent damp the external wall will be battened with 38mm timber which will then be surrounded in 50mm External wall insulation and then clad in 12mm cement construction board. Following this it will be rendered.
9) The flooring will be concrete.
10) Moisture board will be used on the internal skin before plastering.

Are there any major concerns with this build? does it breach any buildings regulations?

Also will the external insulation help prevent damp and reduce heat loss? Will the weight of external insulation effect the structural integrity of the build?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back