Single skin out house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am going to be turning an old brick shed/out house in to a working home office. I want to build a stud frame inside, using a breathable membrane, then batons with insulation batts and noggins, vapour barrier then plasterboard.

All sounds good in my head but not sure on the practical side of it, i've been told I need a bit of a cavity between the masonry and the membrane, so how do I create this cavity? I was going to attach the batons straight to the masonry (by attaching to top/bottom channel, not direct in to brick)?

Sponsored Links
If you are building a fully plasterboarded room within a room, it would be easy to build an entire 2x4 "cage" away from the wall. By the time it's all screwed together it won't be going far.

OK that's fair enough, but once I have the cage assembled, how do I then attach the membrane to the outside of it (which is inside the small cavity between the outside of the frame and the wall itself)?

Sponsored Links
Staples.
A bit of contortion or do it as you go along.
You can build two long sides in the middle of the room, add membrane, and shuffle them into position.
Then do shorter sides.
Presumably there are door gaps and windows so you make up a frame, membrane added, and screw it to the existing frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back