Single storey extension lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Could anyone please advise.
I am planning to change my conservatory to a single storey extension,it will be 7mtrs wide(width of house) x 3mtrs depth with a 30 degree pitched roof from the house using concrete roof tiles.We intend to have a bi-fold door set installed which are 4.5mtrs wide.Can I use a heavy duty steel lintel (Catnic,IG) above the door set or should it be a steel beam.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I'm not an engineer by any stretch, but any openings of that length I would imagine a steel would be preferable. I did a 4.5m set last year and put in 2 small steels, did a 3.5m set recently as well but went with a catnic.

Depends if they're top hung or floor supported. If you wanted suspended and you rang Catnic I suspect they would say it was out of their remit to advise. I suspect BC would want calcs too. I'd be surprised if a heavy duty Catnic would not do the job though a standard steel beam or 2 may be cheaper though maybe not if SE calcs were required.

That would be about the longest catnic you could get (i think). Plus, with a HD lintel, they require a certain amount of block over it on the inner leaf (sounds backward I know) which you might not get on a single storey build. FWIW, if it landed on my desk, I wouldn't have even considered a catnic etc at that length.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back