Single switch wiring to double switch wiring causing issues

Firstly a big thanks to all those that have helped me so far.

I have now solved the problem; my porch light switch was incorrectly wired. It was breaking the live feed to the garage light :)

One last quetsion.

In my first set of pictures on this thread I showed a single light switch with the shielded earth crimped to the feed neutral (from CU). I have now bought 3core+earth 1mm cable and intent to replace the "extension" cable.

The cable is the new colours and i am unsure about the new wire colours.

a) Red will obviously go to brown

b) Do i wire the neutral (from CU) currentlty crimped to the "black" shielded earch to "black" on the new cable ? or do i use grey on the new cable

c) Moot point on third cable depending on answer above :)

d) Do i mark the "grey" cable with "black" tape to indicate its live at some point or do i use "brown" tape? i dont have any brown tape :(

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In my first set of pictures on this thread I showed a single light switch with the shielded earth crimped to the feed neutral (from CU). I have now bought 3core+earth 1mm cable and intent to replace the "extension" cable.

The cable is the new colours and i am unsure about the new wire colours.

a) Red will obviously go to brown

O L D. . . . . . . N E W

Red. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Brown
Yellow. . . . . . Black
Blue. . . . . . . . . . . . Grey
Black. . . . . . . . . . .Blue

b) Do i wire the neutral (from CU) currentlty crimped to the "black" shielded earch to "black" on the new cable ? or do i use grey on the new cable
As black is now a phase colour its use as a neutral is deprecated - use the grey core, sleeved blue.

d) Do i mark the "grey" cable with "black" tape to indicate its live at some point or do i use "brown" tape? i dont have any brown tape :(
1) It won't be live, it will be neutral. Sleeved blue
2) Even if it were live, black is not the colour to sleeve it in a single-phase installation - use brown.
3) Don't use tape, use sleeving.
4) Get some brown & blue sleeving, and a mixed colours warning sticker for the CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back