Wiring in a Double Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a single switch out in my garage (one of the metal-box armoured ones), and I've just bought the same type but in a double switch, as i want to add another light (flourescent tube type) at the other end of the garage. How do I go about this? Is it basically changing the switch over and just adding the new lights' wire to the second batch of terminals in the new double switch?

many thanks

S

Sponsored Links
Where have you taken power to the new light from?

You need to take the live from whereever this power feed is and route it through the unused terminals in your new light switch, and then to your light fitting. Neutral and earth go directly to your light fitting and not through the switch.

I've just recently moved, and the garage was already 'wired up' - it has a small fuse box with the mains supply going into it, and coming out from that, is one grey flex that supports one double-socket, and one single black flex that supplies the existing light & switch. Its just really knowing how to wire an extra light into the double switch (presuming it can be done on this supply).

many thanks for your help thus far

S

does the black cable go through the switch? If so this will be relatively easy.

Sponsored Links
There is a black wire going into the current single switch, and the tube thats up at the moment has 2 leads coming out of it - so i'm presuming one goes to the mains fuse box, and the other into the switch. Its just a case of adding an extra light when the double switch arrives - but how??

cheers

S[/u][/i]

Do you want to be able to switch both lights on independantly of each other or are you happy to have 1 single switch controlling both light tubes?

Hi there,

That is a thought I suppose, but i've actually converted one end of the garage into a workshop, and other into an office - so ideally, it would be great to be able to have either one or the other switched independantly.

The problem you have is that the new light needs to be supplied with a live and a neutral (and an earth).

This means that you will need to 'tap' into the cable carrying the neutral from the fusebox to the existing light.

You will also need to run a cable to carry the live from the switch to your new light. Usually you would also take the earth in the same cable as the live.

It is difficult to explain on here in text form exactly what you need to do. I would suggest that if you are not sure then this would be a small job for an electrician or perhaps a friend who has some knowledge.

Hi Dan Lightbulb,

Cheers for your info. I must confess the more i've been looking into this (and coupled with my limited knowledge), I think the course of action you've suggested may well be prudent on this occasion.

All the best

S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back