Wiring multiple fluorescent strips to a single switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have a single flourescent strip light in our double garage provides no where near enough light. I would like to replace this with 6 or maybe even 8 36w flourescent strips.

I would be grateful for some advice on the correct way to wire them together to the single switch? Also is there a limit to the number of strips that can be run from the same switch?

Sponsored Links
The existing light will have live, neutral and earth connection. Simply connect the other light fittings to these connections.

How many you can connect will be limited by:
the fuse protecting the circuit
the rating of the switch itself
the total rating of other lights on the same circuit

As you may not want them all on sometimes, why not use 2 or3 switches instead.

Sponsored Links
surge current of 8 ballast charges at the same time may be quite considerable, ur switch may spark a bit more than usual (useful to know in case you spill a load of petrol on the floor and dont have adequate ventilation)

I'd be cautious myself and have 4 banks of 2, or at least an outdoor type airtight/watertight switch

b.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back