single wall question

B

breezer

In my back garden i have a brick built sheld, (well i use it as a shed)

next to this shed is an area of garden that i want to level off (currently you feel sea sick if you walk on it due to the peaks and troughs, ok not quite That bad)

I was thinking about buying in some top soil to make everything level.

now here is the question.

being as the shed is only single brick, it has no dpm (not worried its only a shed) so would it do any harm if i just put the top soil next to the lower part of the shed? (to make all level)

I should also point out that it slopes up, away from you, paralell with the shed, so in effect the back end of the side has had soil next to it for i dont know how many years.

if its not a good idea to put soil right next to the shed what would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
I normally put down a dpm, pond liner or heavy duty plastic sheet like a L-shape against the shed so any rain water collected will run away. Trim the top of the sheet when you know your top soil level.

thanks, but could you say more about the L as in which way do you put the sticking out bit of the L

Sponsored Links
you can also use a sticky black paint stuff that acts as a dpc, you pull back the heaped-up ground and brush a couple of coats on the wall.

Used to be called "Aquaprufe" and "Synthaprufe" but there may be other products now.

You often see it on the underground parts of RC bridge supports and viaducts before backfill.

breezer said:
thanks, but could you say more about the L as in which way do you put the sticking out bit of the L
A good idea from JohnD, if you paint with bitumen type paint first then stick the dpm or whatever to hold the sheet in position against the wall then whatever your height of your topsoil is make sure the sheet run past it at the top about 50mm then you could use something like a plastic rain drip bar so when the rain hit the shed wall it will run down over the drip bar inside the sheet area. The L shape is the shortest length upward and the bottom of the ground is the longest length.

thanks, but the jury has now gone out, may be doing something different

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back