SHed foundation type question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am in the process of planning the building of a shed (4 x 2.5m) and have some questions about the foundations. The situation is this: The shed will be at the top of the garden, which is sloping down towards the house. The soil is pretty “clayy”, so it gets waterlogged in winter and rock hard in summer.

I have levelled the shed site somewhat, which has left a vertical soil bank of 1m which needs a retaining wall. The spoil from this has been used to build up the slope on the downhill side. I now have a relatively level site, but one that is made up from a mix of stable soil and compacted spoil.

A foundation here is obviously needed. My thoughts are to go with 9 concrete piers that would support 3 wooden beams which the shed would sit on. The concrete piers would be 20cm diameter and approx. 0.8m deep. This would get down to stable soil and avoid problems with movement due to frost of water absorption.

The advantage of this is that it means that I don’t have to take the whole site down to stable soil – this would need another 75cm down, which would need a very expensive retaining wall – probably with engineering input.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Kind regards
Richard

Sponsored Links
No not really, 10m2 of shed sitting on less than 0.3 m2 foundation total! beams at 1.2m centres means your floor joists (not the beams) have to be better than a standard shed floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back