Single wire, switched live.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am adding a few picture lights to my room before plastering. I have an existing switch with usual live, switch live and earth.

As will be making this a double switch I was just going to jump to second com and the bring 1 switched live up to the lights and get the neutral and earth from nearby light fitting.

Can I run single wire as hard to find them with full sheeting or just run 1.5mm twin earth and leave the neutral cut off?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi I am adding a few picture lights to my room before plastering. I have an existing switch with usual live, switch live and earth.
Ok.

As will be making this a double switch I was just going to jump to second com and the bring 1 switched live up to the lights and get the neutral and earth from nearby light fitting.

Can I run single wire as hard to find them with full sheeting or just run 1.5mm twin earth and leave the neutral cut off?
You could use single and earth but no point use 1mm² T&E, it will be more than adequate. Don't cut off the Neutral; just terminate it safely.

As you appear to be installing cables in both the appropriate areas - light to light and light to switch - why not wire it normally?

Not sure what you mean by normally?

Normally a permanent live, neutral and earth runs main light to main light. From that permanent you run that to the switch and then back to the light as switched live.

So your saying use a junction box from main live, neutral and earth. The brown send live to switch, blue becomes permanent live back up and earth is earth. I would have 4 terminals then in the junction, permanent live, switched live, earth and neutral.

Thanks

Normally a permanent live, neutral and earth runs main light to main light. From that permanent you run that to the switch and then back to the light as switched live.
Yes, and you are thinking of running a neutral and earth to the new light so just use T&E and you can run -

Line(live) or switched line depending on location with a new switch cable from whichever light you were going to use.

So your saying use a junction box
Or rose or connectors or whatever you decide.

from main live, neutral and earth. The brown send live to switch, blue becomes switched live back up and earth is earth.
Yes - as is normally done.
I would have 4 terminals then in the junction, permanent live, switched live, earth and neutral.
So?

Sponsored Links
Yes, and you are thinking of running a neutral and earth to the new light so just use T&E and you can run -

Line(live) or switched line depending on location with a new switch cable from whichever light you were going to use.

Or rose or connectors or whatever you decide.

Yes - as is normally done.

So?
No the 4 terminals was just an observation.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back