Single switch wiring - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appreciate any help as now run out of ideas.
I have relocated and changed a terminal box that joins a power supply, dimmer switch and light. This has necessitated using new cable.
I took a photo of the connections in the old terminal and have reconnected accordingly.
3 earths connected
Live from power to live from switch
Neutral from power to neutral from light
Neutral (switched live) from switch to live from light
Needless to say the light will not switch on.
The live wire into the switch is connected to Com, the neutral to L1.
When the light is wired directly to the power supply, it works.
There are 240 volts at the light switch.

Anything obvious that I should check pls?

Sponsored Links
Although your terminology is a little confusing, it sounds as if you have probably wired things correctly. Are you sure that all the connections have been made satisfactorily and that you have not, for example, tightened a terminal screw onto insulation rather than the copper conductor? Do you have another switch (dimmer or ordinary) that you could temporarily try in place of the dimmer switch? - it's just possible that it has decided to die.

Kind Regards, John

Neutral is the term for the conductor which completes the circuit from a load (light) back to the supply (transformer).

It is not just a word for black or blue wires.

Wires can be anything we want them to be. They do not know what colour they are.

Neutral is the term for the conductor which completes the circuit from a load (light) back to the supply (transformer). It is not just a word for black or blue wires. Wires can be anything we want them to be. They do not know what colour they are.
Quite
Although your terminology is a little confusing, it sounds as if you have probably wired things correctly.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Do you really mean the neutral connected to L1, or do you mean the switched live?
As EFLI has implied, the OP appears to be using 'neutral' to refer to black/blue insulated conductors and 'live' to refer to red/brown ones.

Kind Regards, John

Yes John, I realise that, but we need the OP to tell us what he's done rather than us making assumptions.

So for live read brown , neutral read blue, earth read green/yellow.
Blue to L1 is switched live.

Presumably I am OP, what does it stand for pls?

regards

So for live read brown , neutral read blue, earth read green/yellow.
Blue to L1 is switched live.

Presumably I am OP, what does it stand for pls?

regards

Thanks all for input, it was the dimmer switch at fault, replaced it now all working.

Thanks all for input, it was the dimmer switch at fault, replaced it now all working.
I'm pleased to hear that it's sorted. As you will recall, I suggested that as a possible explanation in the very first response to your original posting.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back