Duff wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can you help with this wiring problem that is not covered in the wiki.

I have a double switch in the hall that should power the hall lights and an outside light. The outside light has never worked, but the hall lights have. The wiring at the switch has (on the working side), a live to L and a yellow wire with red sleeve to L1. The non working side (that is for the outside light) is wired the same. Neutrals are joined together with a terminal block.

There is no power at the L terminal on the non working side, and the wires are joined at the outside light as follows: Yellow with sleeve to black and red to red. The neutral is just into a terminal block and not joined to anything.

I have taken power from the live terminal at the switch to the non live terminal and this gets the power to the light but it is not working. What is wrong.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The outside light needs to be connected between switched L & N, at the moment it sounds like it is connected between permanent L and Switched L. I take it all the earths are connected? It sounds like the setup was originally for a PIR type light with an override switch as you will have permanent L, switch L , and N at the light.

Thanks,

So wiring at light should be Yellow and blue, the rest are OK?

Sponsored Links
If it is wired as I am thinking then that should work, you'll need to terminate the spare wire into some sort of block inside the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back