Sink not draining & no cold water from tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is just a general question for my next door neighbor who lives on her own and is in her 70s

The cold tap in her kitchen does not work and any water poured down the sink or from the hot tap does not drain away.

Also she can't use her washing machine

She rang a plumber who said it is a frozen tap - the advice was to use a hairdryer as well as turning heating on full. The plumber said try those before calling him out as a cost would be incurred on call out.

Upstairs everything works fine - shower - bath - boiler etc.

I have a few questions as the lady is a little worried.
1. If the problem is a frozen pipe stopping the water to the kitchen sink, why would it also be an issue for any water to drain away. (or could the lot be frozen?)

2. As the boiler toilet and shower/bath & upstairs basin work fine is she ok to keep using these appliances?

3. If she just leaves this will it sort itself out when the temperature eventually rises over the next week (hopefully)

Any help/advice is really appreciated - I know nothing about plumbing - we live next door and everything is fine here.

Sponsored Links
My mates got the same problem, he has an air brick just under the sink and the winds blowing cold air onto the pipes (under floor and not accessible) if she has the same, put a temporary cover over the air brick and remove it when the weather gets better, it might help.

If the lady is prone to leaving her tap dripping, its dead easy for ice to form in the outside drain pipe - a couple of kettles of hot water should help that one.
It does seem that the supply to the cold tap is frozen too - but if she leaves the taps open and gets as much heat into the house as she can, she should be ok. Cupboard doors need to be open too.
Its good of you to keep an eye on her ;)
John :)

Sponsored Links
The kitchen tap is usually fed direct from the mains whilst the upstairs taps etc, are supplied from the cold tank.
Where is the stop cock?
If this is also under the kitchen sink, the supply upto the cold tank may be frozen as well as the branch to the kitchen cold tap. Check that water is flowing uo to the cold water tank, otherwise she may just be emptying the tank.
Heating around the under sink area will help.

Keep an eye out for a burst or joint leak near the kitchen tap when the pipe does unfreeze.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the replies, there was no air brick on the wall around or under the sink.

Unfortunately I am at work now (12 hr shifts) so I can't get round there to check anything else.

I will give my wife a ring later when I get chance of using an outside line.

Sorry but I have no idea where the stop cock is, If the situation does not get any better for the lady I will take some time to check everything over.

I know her boiler is upstairs but we have only been living next door several months so I feel a little awkward going in the house.

One thing I would like to ask is the differences between the copper and flexi pipes - in regards to burst or joint leaks, is this more a problem with copper pipe or does the flexi pipes suffer also?

Thanks again for the advice, it is very nice to know people can be helpful in situations like this.

Edit
Just got home and the old lady next door said everything is fine, The temperature is a lot better here although it's still snowing and cold.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back